Our mission is to empower the blind and visually-impaired people of New Mexico to achieve their highest potential.
We believe that with proper training and encouragement, a blind person can be gainfully employed in the career of their choice, raise a family, participate in community clubs and other organizations, and in all ways enjoy life to the fullest. We accomplish our mission by:
- Educating the public about blindness and the abilities of blind people.
- Providing support and resources to blind individuals and their families.
- Advocating on behalf of blind individuals in a variety of areas, including special education, vocational rehabilitation, independent living, and assistive technology.
- Providing assistance to parents to obtain appropriate special education services and instruction for blind children, including instruction in Braille.
- Advocating with local and state government to promote the rights of blind people.
- Advocating on behalf of blind seniors who are losing vision due to conditions such as macular degeneration.
- Addressing issues of concern to persons who are blind or visually impaired who have conditions such as Retinopathy of prematurity, septo-optic dysplasia, Cortical visual Impairment, glaucoma, and diabetic retinopathy.
- Bringing blind people together to work toward a common purpose.
- Collaborating with other organizations to achieve our common goals.
NFB of New Mexico 2018 Scholarships
The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico is pleased to announce the start of its 2018 scholarship program.
Our student scholarship program offers an unrestricted cash award to legally blind students attending a vocational school, college, or university. Scholarship applications must be received no later than March 17, 2018.
Our parents scholarship program offers the opportunity for a first-time attendee New Mexico parent and their blind child to attend the 2018 national convention of the National Federation of the Blind held during the week of July 3-8, 2018 in Orlando, Florida. Letters of interest must be received no later than March 17, 2018.