Our mission is to empower the blind and visually-impaired people of New Mexico to achieve their highest potential.
We believe that with proper training and encouragement, a blind person can be gainfully employed in the career of their choice, raise a family, participate in community clubs and other organizations, and in all ways enjoy life to the fullest. We accomplish our mission by:
- Educating the public about blindness and the abilities of blind people.
- Providing support and resources to blind individuals and their families.
- Advocating on behalf of blind individuals in a variety of areas, including special education, vocational rehabilitation, independent living, and assistive technology.
- Providing assistance to parents to obtain appropriate special education services and instruction for blind children, including instruction in Braille.
- Advocating with local and state government to promote the rights of blind people.
- Advocating on behalf of blind seniors who are losing vision due to conditions such as macular degeneration.
- Addressing issues of concern to persons who are blind or visually impaired who have conditions such as Retinopathy of prematurity, septo-optic dysplasia, Cortical visual Impairment, glaucoma, and diabetic retinopathy.
- Bringing blind people together to work toward a common purpose.
- Collaborating with other organizations to achieve our common goals.
National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico
Serving as a Vehicle of Collective Action
for the Blind to Live the Lives They Want
- Dates: March 31-April 2 with an open Board meeting during the evening of March 30
- Place: Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown Hotel, 2600 Louisiana BLVD NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110
Be a part of the largest gathering of blind people to be held in New Mexico! Join us as we work together to shape our future.
Right click on this lik to download a document containing the rest of the information about the convention and the convention pre-registration form.
The deadline for convention pre-registration is March 3.
If you wish to pre-register for the convention and pay your registration fee online, you can now use our
Online Registration Page.
We are using PayPal to process convention registration payments. You do not need to have an established PayPal account to pre-register for the convention. If you experience problems with online pre-registration, please email Curtis Chong at
NFB of New Mexico 2017 Scholarship Program Now Underway
Scholarship For Blind Students
The NFB of New Mexico is now accepting applications for its 2017 Student Scholarship program. Applications (which can be submitted by email or conventional mail) must be turned in no later than Monday, February 20, 2017 and must be submitted as a single complete package.
National Federation of the Blind
2017 Scholarship Program
To recognize achievement by blind scholars, the National Federation of the Blind annually offers blind college students in the United States and Puerto Rico the opportunity to win one of thirty merit-based, national-level scholarships worth from $3,000 to $12,000. All scholarships awarded are based on academic excellence, community service, and leadership. The 2017 Scholarship Program of the National Federation of the Blind ends on March 31, 2017.
Click here to read more about our national scholarship program and to apply for one of our high-value national scholarships.